Skills on Wheels reflection


Out of the six available modules, the two modules that I have chosen to complete are (1) Converse with confidence and (2) Exchange Feedback.

Conversing with confidence module is meant to teach students to communicate with confidence at social gathering and group meetings. This module is relevant for students that have concerns with not knowing what to say in one-on-one social meetings and/or small group discussions. For the interactive video and the one-on-one social meetings quiz, I was able to score 100% on the first try. However, for the small group discussion quiz, I answered one question wrongly. Through my mistake, I learnt that it is important to comprehend others first and not let others understand my point of view first.

Exchanging feedback is meant to teach students on receiving and providing feedback effectively to develop themselves and others. This module is relevant for students that are unable and do not know how to receive/give feedback and responding to feedback. For the interactive video and the receiving feedback quiz, I was able to score 100% on the first try. However, for the giving feedback quiz, I answered one question wrongly. Through this, I learnt that it is better to wait as long as needed for an opportune time to give feedback rather than doing it as soon as possible in a secluded environment. It is essential to create a safe environment when giving feedback effectively.

The reason why I chose to complete these two modules is that, being a shy and quiet person by nature, I was hoping that the modules will be able to provide me with some tips to conversing with confidence more and tips on exchanging feedback more effectively. Furthermore, I will be going to IWSP soon, it will be beneficial to learn some tips on conversing with my colleagues and supervisor and receiving feedback from them.

Previously, I felt that giving feedback is hard and I do not initiate providing feedback to others. Having learnt the modules, I will be able to provide feedback effectively using the SHARE framework – Show appreciation, Highlight intent before content, Addressing learning point, Reserve time for clarification and End on a positive note. If I were to encounter the same situation as the two modules, I will be able to use the tips to interact and effectively communicate my points. As a next step, I need to utilize what I learnt into my life, and this knowledge will be essential to me in the future as a student and in the workplace.

Overall, the learning experience was interesting this is mainly due to engaging and interactive videos (iSimulation task) and the info-graphics. The application is also easy to use, and the review option was useful in allowing me to review quiz answers and understand my mistakes to learn from it. The topics were relevant and applicable to me as all the topics are real-life problems and issues that we need to face.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hannah,

    Thank you very much for the extraordinarily detailed effort you made with this review of two of the SoW modules. I particularly appreciate your reflection on the learning you experienced. In terms of the SoW website itself, I'm happy to hear that you feel like the nuggets were presented in an easy to access manner and the topics seemed relevant.

    You've made a stellar effort for this post and in the portfolio learning all term long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment