Final Critical Reflection


1) Module Reflection

After 13 weeks of Career & professional development module, I would say I am able to achieve my goals set out for the module.

The first goal I had for the module was to improve my oral presentation. I was able to achieve this through the multiple opportunities provided to us such as sharing of class activities, reading out materials for the class, mock presentation and final presentation. During class activities, when it is time to share group work/ discussion, I would always try to represent my group to present so as to practice presenting. Through these class activities, I was able to gain more confidence in speaking up in class. For me, the most significant experience was being able to gain the courage to speak up, and I see this as an achievement as previously I would not volunteer to speak at all. For this reason, I would boldly say that I have improved my skills in oral presentation. Although I am having a hard time changing my habit of saying “passing the time to xxxx”. I will practice and make an effort to improve the way I hand the time to the next presenter. This presentation skill will be essential to me as a student and in the future at the workplace because I will be making numerous presentations to colleagues and clients.

The second goal I had for the module was to improve my written communication through the usage of this blog. I would say I have slightly improved my written communication as there were lesser opportunities to practices as compared to presenting in class. Having learnt the 7 C’s of communication, I now know how to effectively convey my message across as intended and reducing the chances of any miscommunications. This written communication skill will be essential to me in the future workplace as I will be required to send emails to my colleagues and clients.

As the next step, I need to continue to further improve my oral presentation by consistently speaking up and present in class and not shy away from any opportunities. Also, I would continue to further improve my written communication by maintaining good professionalism when replying to emails and good writing skills.




2) Presentation Showcase Reflection

For the showcase, together with Laura and Syairah, we were the organizing committee members that oversee the allocation of seats. This includes ensuring that every student has a seat and that the presenters are seated at the allocated seats provided for them.

There were not many challenges faced during the showcase as the organizing committee members in charge of the seating plan. The only challenge that we encountered was the lack of seats for the whole cohort. Due to the initial seating plan, there were not enough seats for all the students, and we had to move up the panel judges’ seats to accommodate the students.

After experiencing the showcase, one positive takeaway for me, I realised that HB students are super cooperative. Having previously worked part-time as an usher, I am used to having complains and resistance to having usher someone to a seat that is not favourable to them. However, during the showcase, every student was super cooperative and sat at the seats we ushered them to.

Most importantly, I have learnt that effective communication is apparent in the making of the showcase as we all needed to communicate with one another to make it a noteworthy event. Swathi as the chairperson of the committee did a good job in gathering everyone and communicating the different roles and responsibilities to us. Additionally, communicating with the audience is also key to making the showcase a noteworthy event. This understanding will be vital to me as effective communication is essential every day and we will need it at every stage of our life.

Comments

  1. Thanks very much, Hannah, for this detailed final reflection. I appreciate how you have tied each area that you've discussed with either potential or achieved learning. Another thing apparent here is just how active you've been in the module. From the projecct work, video and various presentations to your help with the showcase, your efforts have been noteworthy!

    It's been a great pleasure working with you this term. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment